THIS IS NOT A LIFE SAVING DEVICE / WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME30 November 2016, Pepino
I'm listing here some things I saw during the second leg of the Border Field Trip from Lesvos to London through the Balkanroute.
- Mountains of hundreds of thousands of life jackets in Lesvos, including many with pictures of Disney Princesses and Captain America and featuring the text "this is not a life saving device". Even the misery makes profit for the American entertainment empire that controls the privatized global childhood.
- Visits to refugee camps of all types in several countries - closed, open, official, improvised, legal, illegal, dirty, model. Our white man privilege refugee camp tourism - driving premium rental cars and relaxing in the spas of luxury hotels.
- Police custody and interrogation in Greece for taking photos of a refugee camp. We were also interrogated by police in Serbia for taking photos of a refugee camp between the border lines.
- Entering to Hungary, which is a Schengen country - which means we were crossing the border to home. We were asked where we go and why. Could I just have said that we were going home?
- The ruins of Calais Jungle. The destruction of the humble makeshift property of the weakest people.
- The public space below the metro tracks around Stalingrad area in Paris closed with fences. The borders are moving to the centers. The refugees and migrants without papers form the Fifith World in the Eruopean cities. For them even the marginalized Fourth World of homelessness and prostitution is not accesible. I'm going to develop further the concept of the Fifth World, a condition were waiting and inactivity become a permanent state.
- The kilometers of concertina razor wire which covers our continent. Now it doesn't surprise me why its biggest producer European Security Fencing is one of fastes growing companies in the European Union. Many of the companies that sell security services and material to EU's Frontex are also the biggest companies exporting military equipment to the conflicts of the Middle East. We sell death and we buy security.
I wanna run, I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name